Attorney General William Barr, noticing the crisis on the southern border has taken charge and released a new ruling in an attempt to end catch-and-release of those claiming asylum.
Border Patrol Commissioners and agents and stressed for a while now that a vast majority of asylum claims are designated through “credible or reasonable fear” statements. These words are fraudulently used to gain access to our country.
The White House put this out to remind Americans what is going on:
- There has been a massive spike in migrants claiming asylum at the border regardless of whether their claims have merit or not.
- Prior to 2013, 1 out of every 100 aliens arriving at the border claimed credible fear and sought asylum. That number has skyrocketed to 1 out of every 10.
- Less than 10 percent of those who were granted credible fear in 2018 were ultimately approved for asylum.
- Capacity at immigration facilities has been pushed to its limit, driving our already broken system from “catch-and-release” to just release.
- Congress needs to fix our asylum laws by raising the credible fear standard and tightening eligibility to prevent abuse of the system.
- Currently, migrants with meritless claims often cross the border illegally, claim “credible fear,” and gain release into the interior of the country.
A report from the State Department says the following:
“Lengthy backlogs in asylum processing undermine the integrity of the asylum system. They delay legal protection for individuals who are legitimately fleeing persecution and have valid asylum claims. Further, such delays are a ‘pull factor’ for illegal immigration,”
“By providing protection from removal, they create an incentive for those without lawful status to enter and remain in the United States. Asylum applicants also are eligible to obtain employment authorization after their asylum applications have been pending for six months, creating an incentive to file frivolous or fraudulent asylum applications.”
It seems to me that immigration officials should be able to automatically reject any asylum applicant that shows up in person at the Mexican border if that person isn’t from Mexico, because international law requires that asylum seekers seek asylum in the nearest country. Asylum law doesn’t allow people to migrate through one country to get to another unless the country they’re migrating through also represents a danger to them.
There shouldn’t be ANY asylum seekers from countries south of Mexico showing up at the US border seeking asylum, and when they do, that should result in automatic rejection,
Dems always are very much for taking our money and confiscating our property so they can usher in their utopian fantasy. Funny how they never seem to be willing to shoulder the costs. Have they never heard of charities and community programs? Lots to choose from, and all are very willing to accept donations. Tax-exempt donations, too, so the “progressive” Left has no excuse.
But no: they would much rather circumvent the laws of our nation and transfer an ever-increasing amount of power to the Government, and confiscate from hard-working citizens who are essentially minding their own business.
Since it is much easier, and much less destructive, to give to charities and community social programs than it is to go the route they prefer, I do not believe that the “progressive” Left is even one percent as magnanimous as they claim.
One thing nobody ever talks about is how many asylum seekers do Nicaragua and Mexico (the closest safe countries) have flooding into their countries. I guess that the number is very close to zero. Why wouldn’t true asylum seekers go to the nearest country for asylum? The answer is that there aren’t any asylum seekers coming to the United States. The vast majority come here because they’ve heard of our free handouts.
Well, this is a step in the right direction! But of course, the communist enemies of our Republic will be heading straight to the “Ninth Circus” to secure an injunction to obstruct and throw a monkey wrench into a lawful process.