Nobody listens to regular joe’s on controversies because everyone has an opinion but these names should hold weight because they are around the football game on a constant basis. Let’s also take a look at this New England Patriots issue from another angle.
If the New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton was suspended for a year for “Bountygate”, then Patriots Coach Bill Belichick and QB Tom Brady should be suspended even longer for multiple cheating offenses. It seems the NFL gives the Patriots a chance to redeem themselves every time they cheat, but the Patriots just cheat again at the first possible chance they get – and especially for the big games.
- Jerry Rice: 11 of 12 balls under-inflated can anyone spell cheating!!! #Just Saying
- Troy Aikman: “It’s obvious that Tom Brady had something to do with this. I know going back to when I played, they’ve loosened up the rules in terms of what each team is able to do with the footballs coming into the game. Used to, the home team provided all the balls. And now, each team brings their footballs the way they like them and break ‘em in. Used to you couldn’t break them in. So for the balls to be deflated, that doesn’t happen unless the quarterback wants that to happen, I can assure you of that. Now the question becomes: Did Bill Belichick know about it.”
- Jerome Bettis: “I’m so disappointed because I thought this was a perfect opportunity for Tom Brady to go and say, ‘You know what? I made a mistake. I blew it. It’s on me. I’ll take the blame here, and this will go away.’ He didn’t do that … I’m disappointed in you, Tom Brady.”
- Mark Brunell: “I did not believe what Tom had to say. Those balls were deflated. Someone had to do it and I don’t believe there’s an equipment manager in the NFL that would on his own initiative deflate a ball without the starting quarterback’s approval. I just didn’t believe what Tom Brady had to say.”
- Dick Vitale: “Looking for the edge is great coaching but CHEATING can not be tolerated !Pats must be given a stiff penalty!”
- Skip Bayless: I’ll go this far — if you want to use the word lying, Tom Brady was lying. I used dodging the truth. He was lying yesterday. He was so uncomfortable.
- Stephen A. Smith: I believe it is something that has been going on for a long period of time. I don’t believe it happened for just one game.
- Terrance Knighton: “If the footballs were deflated by that amount, it’s definitely cheating. Harder to fumble, easier to catch, and helps you throw further.”
- Chris Canty: “The Patriots are habitual line-steppers. If the allegations are true, then you are talking about attacking the integrity of our game and I have an issue with that.”
- Graham Gano: Looks like someone’s gonna be in trouble for not deflating that 12th ball…
- Matt Leinart: “Not once did a head coach ever have any input in that. It’s strictly a quarterback-to-equipment-manager thing and that’s pretty universal. Those are the only two guys that have any part of that process.
Maybe we should get out the asterisk stickers for every game that Tom Brady played in for Coach Belichick to show that there was most likely some cheating going on or maybe that is going too far.
One way or another this should not end perfectly for either of the two.