BEHNA: Mercury News Criticizes George W. Bush For Oroville Dam Crisis But Gives Obama A Pass

On Sunday, tens of thousands of people evacuated after the Oroville Dam in California is in danger of breaking with a huge water spill.

The spillway had been eroded by storms earlier this week.

NBC Bay Area News had the facebook message of The Butte County Sheriff’s Office.

“A hazardous situation is developing with the Oroville Dam auxiliary spillway. Operation of the auxiliary spillway has led to severe erosion that could lead to a failure of the structure. Failure of the auxiliary spillway structure will result in an uncontrolled release of flood waters from Lake Oroville.

“In response to this developing situation, DWR (Department of Water Resources) is increasing water releases to 100,000 cubic feet per second.

“Immediate evacuation from the low levels of Oroville and areas downstream is ordered.”

People on social media advocated no politically-motivated statements and to think about the victims.

It did not stop Mercury News criticizing George W. Bush’s administration for responsibility, of the dam’s crisis.

Three environmental groups — the Friends of the River, the Sierra Club and the South Yuba Citizens League — filed a motion with the federal government on Oct. 17, 2005, as part of Oroville Dam’s relicensing process, urging federal officials to require that the dam’s emergency spillway be armored with concrete, rather than remain as an earthen hillside.

The groups filed the motion with FERC, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. They said that the dam, built and owned by the state of California, and finished in 1968, did not meet modern safety standards because in the event of extreme rain and flooding, fast-rising water would overwhelm the main concrete spillway, then flow down the emergency spillway, and that could cause heavy erosion that would create flooding for communities downstream, but also could cause a failure, known as “loss of crest control.”

The Bush administration rejected that request, however, after the state Department of Water Resources, and the water agencies that would likely have had to pay the bill for the upgrades, said they were unnecessary.

So there you have it. The Bush administration is guilty, but no mention about eight years under Obama before the dam’s crisis.

It is the most recent example of treating Bush like trash and making Obama a king. Can the media stop with these double standards?

What do you think about this story? Comment below to let us know.

Help support conservative news and views by sharing this post on Facebook and Twitter.

You can also follow Mitch Behna on Twitter.

Wayne Dupree

Wayne Dupree is owner and founder of WayneDupree.com. He was named to the 2017 Newsmax’s 50 Most Influential African-American Republicans. He served in the USAF between 1987-1995. He saw time in Operation Desert Storm/Shield and is the father of three. He is the host of the Wayne Dupree Show.

Leave a Comment