By PoliZette Staff | May 13, 2019
At the request of the alleged victim’s attorney, Swedish prosecutors said on Monday they will reopen a rape case against Julian Assange, the Australian-born founder of WikiLeaks.
The action comes a month after Assange was evicted from the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, where he had been holed up.
Eva-Marie Persson, Sweden’s deputy director of public prosecutions, announced the news at a press conference in Stockholm, as multiple outlets reported.
“There is still a probable cause to suspect that Assange committed a rape,” she said.
“Now that he has left Ecuador’s embassy, the conditions in the case have changed and … the conditions are in place once again to pursue the case,” she added.
Assange has denied the charges.
Swedish prosecutors filed preliminary charges against Assange after he visited the country in 2010.
Assange avoided extradition by taking refuge in London’s Ecuadorian embassy for more than six years; he was granted asylum at the Ecuadorean Embassy in August 2012.
A case of alleged sexual misconduct against Assange was dropped when the statute of limitations expired, but what remained was a rape allegation — though it could not be pursued while Assange remained at the embassy.
The statute of limitations on that case expires in August 2020.
Assange, 47, was removed from the embassy last month and sentenced to 50 weeks in prison for violating his bail.
The United States has also begun extradition proceedings for his alleged role in leaking diplomatic and military secrets in 2010.
In a statement, WikiLeaks said the reopening of the rape case would “give [Assange] a chance to clear his name.”
“There has been considerable political pressure on Sweden to reopen their investigation, but there has always been political pressure surrounding this case,” its editor-in-chief, Kristinn Hrafnsson, said in a statement, as the BBC reported.
This piece originally appeared in LifeZette and is used by permission.
Read more at LifeZette.com:
Graham Working to Declassify Sensitive ‘Document’ About the Anti-Trump Steele Dossier
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Wayne Dupree. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.
Attn: Wayne Dupree is a free speech champion who works tirelessly to bring you news that the mainstream media ignores. But he needs your support in order to keep delivering quality, independent journalism. You can make a huge impact in the war against fake news by pledging as little as $5 per month. Please click here Patreon.com/WDShow to help Wayne battle the fake news media.